Desert Ridge Junior High adheres to high academic standards.
Programs designed to assist students in reaching their goals include: honors, special education, vocational, as well as before and after school tutoring. School calendars, course description books, and student handbooks are available to parents. Desert Ridge Junior High provides a safe environment before, after, and during school hours. In the fall, district policies are mailed to each household which outline procedures designed to ensure the safety of all students.
Parents are responsible for students arriving at school on time, dressed appropriately, ready to learn with completed homework. They must also report absences to the school on a daily basis. Parents are responsible for the health and well-being of their child and should report to the school any health issues, which may impact their child's ability to learn.
ORGANIZATION AND PHILOSOPHY
- Self-contained Classrooms
- Language Arts Block (7th & 8th Grades)
- On-site Special Education
- Advanced and Honors Classes
- Accelerated Reader and Math Program
- Character Education
- Silent Sustained Reading Program
- Foreign Language
SCHOOL ACADEMIC GOALS
- An on-going program, (Character Counts!) will be merged with our curriculum areas to enhance social skills and address diversity among all students.
- Students will be able to express themselves through the development of strong written communication skills.
- Students will be able to experience self-paced learning in the areas of math and reading and reading through the implementation of AR Reading and AR Math programs.
- Students will earn competency levels of 80% or higher in all basic curriculum areas.
- Library Resource Center
- Computer Labs
- Vocational Tech Computer Modules
SCHOOL COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- Health Services
- Breakfast/Lunch Programs
- Tobacco Cessation Program
- Counseling Services
- Citizenship Classes
- Crisis Intervention