Character Counts in Gilbert Public SchoolsVISION FOR CHARACTER EDUCATION
The vision of Gilbert Public Schools' character education program is to establish an environment at each of our schools that promotes good character. We will embrace a code of ethics that will be infused into the curriculum, the classroom and our schools. Trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship will be integrated into the daily life of our district. We will all act as role models for each other as we strive to foster understanding, academic excellence, individual accountability, and ethical awareness and behavior.
in Gilbert Public Schools
Gilbert Public Schools is a CHARACTER COUNTS! district, based on basic values called the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship. Read more about CC! at www.CharacterCounts.org
. This year our district has thirty-five CHARACTER COUNTS! schools including all of our elementary and junior high schools. Each integrate the six pillars of character into school life. the six pillars are TRRFCC (terrific!) - Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship. they are taught and reinforced by everyone in the school community. Students learn and live the six pillars throughout the day while learning their academic curriculum and while interacting with each other. It is with them in the classroom, on the playground, and in the cafeteria. Everyone helps to teach each other good character traits.
- Several of our schools have been awarded State and private foundation Character Education Grants.
- GPS students may be nominated to receive the "American Youth Character Award" for those who demonstrate exemplary character.
- The GPS Saturday Character Education School provides support to junior high students.
- Parent involvement in the program is encouraged and CHARACTER COUNTS! education classes are available to parents and staff.
- Secondary athletics are Pursuing Victory With Honor - A CHARACTER COUNTS! program.