Dear Seventh and Eighth Grade Students and Parents,
Mesquite Junior High trusts that you are having an enjoyable summer. The information in this letter should prove to be helpful to you as preparations for the new school year begin. Included with this mailing is information on our new bell schedule, Gilbert Public Schools Dress Code Guidelines, recommended supply list, and Mustang Days information.
1. We appreciate your help during the registration process for our sixth and seventh graders! Students selected their 2012-2013 courses last spring. At that time they were informed that course requests would be accommodated according to space availability. The classes selected would be the classes assigned to them for the coming year. Your student’s schedule will be available at Mustang Days. Only necessary schedule changes will be made during this time (i.e. lacking a class/lunch, assigned two lunches/classes the same period, or assigned to an inappropriate P.E. class).
2. During the summer months, we encourage students to receive their physicals if they want to participate in our interscholastic athletic programs. Completion of Gilbert Public Schools Junior High Athletic Packet, which includes the Physical Exam Form, is required for students to participate in after school sports. The Junior High Athletic Packet can be obtained by downloading off the GPS Webpage at www.gilbertschools.net and click on the “Athletic Schedules” link to the right. Completed packets may be filed in the Mesquite Jr. High School office beginning July 23, 2012. If you have questions please contact Mesquite Junior High School at 480-926-1433. Important: students must have a copy of their birth certificate and proof of insurance with the packet. The Sports Season Information Meeting will be held on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 from 6:00 - 7:00 pm in the MJHS auditorium.
3. Our annual Open House will be held on Tuesday, August 7, 2012 from 6:00 - 7:30 pm. This is an opportunity to follow your child’s schedule and meet teachers. School begins Wednesday, August 8, 2012. The first bell rings at 7:53 am. Students will report to their first hour class upon arrival at school to obtain their final “blue” schedule.
4. Mustang Days: Below is the schedule for our annual Mustang Days for all of our seventh and eighth grade students. The purpose of these days will be for students to pick up their schedules and purchase an activity card, P.E. padlocks, P.E. uniforms, yearbooks, etc. Please mark your calendars for these important dates:
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm –7th Grade - In the Cafeteria
Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm – 8th Grade – In the Cafeteria
5. Padlocks will be needed for P.E. lockers only, and can be purchased in our cafeteria during Mustang Days. Since we do not provide book lockers, we encourage book bags or backpacks to help our students stay organized.
6. The Junior High Student Handbook is available on line along with additional information. PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBPAGE at www.gilbertschools.net/mesquitejrhs, click on Our Schools and select Mesquite Jr. High. Handbook Orientations will be held during the first two weeks of school at which time the students will be given a signature form for students and parents to sign and return acknowledging that they have read and understood the policies, procedures, rules, activities, etc. outlined in the handbook.
Again, we welcome you to Mesquite Junior High School. The entire staff is looking forward to an outstanding year!
Ron Izzett, Principal
Lucas Blackburn, Assistant Principal